The list of top 10 consumer complaints made in NSW last year has just been released and among it included automotive repairs and servicing and household electrical and white goods, but the most complained about service was residential building work.
Brian Seidler from Master Builders Australia joined TODAY with some expert advice.
Top 10 complaints made to the NSW government by consumers
1.Residential building work, including major renovations
2.Household electrical and whitegoods
3.Automotive - used cars and motorcycles
4.Goods, including furniture, furnishings and manchester
5.Automotive repairs and servicing
6.Travel and tourism
7.Goods, including clothing, footwear and accessories
8.Computer technology and hardware
10.Automotive - new cars and motorcycles
If consumers have problems in the marketplace, the following tips are in place to help prevent them:
- Know your rights and responsibilities
- Keep your receipts as proof of purchase
- Keep all documents, such as warranty information, repair or service information and instructions
- First always try and negotiate with the seller, in person and/or in writing
- Contact the seller regarding any concerns as soon as possible
- Remain calm, cool-headed and polite
- Be reasonable
- If you encounter difficulties with a salesperson, ask to speak to someone more senior such as the store manager
- Remind them of your statutory rights
- If you encounter any difficulties in negotiating with the seller contact Fair Trading on 13 32 20 for help and advice.