chef Luke Mangan joins the team to make a delicious Italian apple flan.
ITALIAN APPLE FLAN RECIPE
- 5 apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 200g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod (scraped) or a few drops of vanilla essence
- 5 eggs
- 300g self raising flour
- 150g butter
- 50g pine nuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Place butter into a pot and melt in the oven, ensuring butter doesn't burn.
3. Peel the apples and cut them into slices.
4. Add the lemon juice and 50g of the sugar, mix together and set aside.
5. Break the eggs into a large bowl, add the remaining sugar and beat together.
6. Add the melted butter, vanilla, sifted flour, baking powder and spices; mix until well combined.
7. Add the apples.
8. Place mixture into a cake tin, sprinkle the pine nuts on top and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer, inserted in the centre of the cake, comes out clean.
9. Serve with orange marmalade and vanilla cream.
- 6 oranges
- 500ml water
- 300g sugar
- 3 cinnamon quills
- 8 star anise, lightly bashed
1. Cut oranges into quarters, put them in a pot and cover with water.
2. Add in the sugar and spices and bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer until oranges are very tender.
4. Remove pot from heat and allow to cool.
5. When cool, remove the oranges from the pot.
6. Strain the syrup to remove the spices.
7. Return the syrup to the stove top and continue to boil gently until liquid reduces by half.
8. Once syrup has reduced, add the oranges to the liquid and then blend until it's a smooth consistency.
- 300ml cream
- 80g icing sugar
- 2 vanilla pods, scraped
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
To follow Luke on Twitter visit @LukeMangan or visit Luke’s website at www.lukemangan.com