cook Julie Goodwin joined the team to make a delicious pumpkin ricotta and spinach pie.
ROAST PUMPKIN, SPINACH AND RICOTTA PIE
Cost under $14.00 - about 2.30 per head
Prep time - 15 minutes Cooking time - 1 hr 10 minutes
- Half a large butternut pumpkin (750g) cut into a 2cm dice
- 2/3 cup light olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 brown onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100g baby spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 250g tub ricotta
1. Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced.) Grease and flour a 24cm spring form cake tin.
2. Toss the pumpkin cubes with oil, nutmeg, salt and pepper and roast in a baking tray for 30 minutes or until soft and golden brown.
3. In a frypan over a medium heat, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Take the pan off the heat and using tongs, toss the spinach through. The spinach will wilt a little.
5. In a bowl, beat the 6 eggs. Add the remaining olive oil and mix well. Add flour and whisk until there are no lumps. Stir through the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove the pumpkin from the oven and lower the temperature to 180C (160C fan forced). Toss the pumpkin through the onion spinach mixture. The spinach will wilt further.
7. Place half the mixture in the base of the cake tin and pour half the egg mixture over. Shake the tin to make sure the egg sinks all around the vegetables. Put the other half of the pumpkin on top and top with the remaining egg mixture.
8. Dollop the ricotta over the top, using a spoon burrow down a little so that there is some ricotta nestled inside the pie as well.
9. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and firm in the middle.
To follow Julie on twitter visit @_JulieGoodwin