Lisa Wilkinson joined the rest of the team to make her favourite winter warmer, lamb and barley soup.
LAMB, VEGETABLE, BARLEY WINTER SOUP
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 500g lamb shoulder
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 1/2 sweet potato, chopped
- 2 sweedes, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g canned tomatoes
- 2 tblsp tomato paste
- 2L vegetable stock, reduced-salt
- Cracked pepper to taste.
- Coriander, sour cream and sourdough bread to serve.
1. Preheat stove to 180 degrees.
2. Heat oil in fry pan. Add onion and garlic, cook stirring until soft. Brown lamb then add vegies. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened. Add paprika and paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Transfer to a large pot. Add barley, tomatoes and stock. Season. Stir to combine. Cover and let simmer for 2 - 2.5 hours. Stir at intervals.
4. Garnish with Coriander, sour cream and sourdough bread to serve.
TIP: If you would like to use a slow cooker, follow the same method but leave in cooker for 5 hours.