Chef Luke Mangan joined the team to make some delicious buckwheat pancakes with smoked salmon.
BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES AND SMOKED SALMON RECIPE
- 1/2 cup plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- pinch of salt
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- extra virgin olive oil
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and milk in a small bowl, then mix into the dry ingredients.
3. Beat the egg whites in another large bowl with an electric mixer until they form soft peaks, then fold into the batter.
4. Fold in the melted butter until the batter is smooth.
5. Heat a large non-stick pan, lightly brushed with a little olive oil until hot, but not smoking.
6. Working in batches of four, spoon a good tablespoon of batter into the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the surface of the pancakes bubble.
7. Flip and cook for another minute.
8. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
9. Brush pan with olive oil between batches.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill or chives
- 220g thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into small pieces
- extra fresh dill or chives, to garnish
1. To make the topping, stir all ingredients in a bowl, except the salmon, until combined.
2. Dollop onto pancakes and top with salmon.
3. Garnish with fresh dill or chives and serve.
Note: You can substitute 60g (4 tbsp) of caviar or salmon caviar for the smoked salmon, if desired.
To follow Luke on Twitter visit @LukeMangan or visit Luke’s website at www.lukemangan.com